Monday, September 27, 2010

Separate Ways


 


On the weekend I said goodbye to my studio space. After many months of number crunching and reasoning, we decided to go our separate ways.

Endings can be hard for me, so I try hard to think of them as an opportunity for new beginnings. I'm a big-time believer in all that 'one door closes and another one opens' kind of stuff. As I packed the few belongings I'd brought to my studio I was reminded of packing up my desk on my last day of work before my kiddo was born. That was such a poignant end, and simultaneous beginning of a new life for me.

Working from home again will be pretty good - I have really missed having my desk and comfy chair at home. Another bonus? My office mate. He's totally hot, smart, and all mine. Also - having a bathroom that doesn't require a key, access to tea and coffee (and lets face it - snacks) whenever I want, and being surrounded by all the things that inspire me without having to lug it / them up and down 4 flights of stairs.

The work at home life will also throw the challenges I have always faced as a self employed someone right up in my grill. Taking my work time seriously for one. At the studio there were almost zero distractions. No phone, no laundry, no interruptions. At home - well, you know. There is always something else you could be doing. Luckily I know this trap and can plan ahead.

"Show up at the page, the rest will come" is going to be my mantra for the months ahead. Showing up even when I don't feel like it. Showing up even when there are a billion loads of laundry that need to be done. Showing up even when I just have an hour. Showing up even though I sometimes question the importance of this work I love to do. And I'll be keeping my eye on the bigger prize - amassing more work and building a little studio space in our yard next spring. I look forward to dusting off my drafting books from high school and getting to work on that plan in the next month or so. I'll keep you all posted. 

And yeah, that video at the top pf this post? Genius! This thing cracks me up. I'm a sucker for horrible wigs, fake mustaches, air guitar and of course Journey. Who are these guys? I love how they included the picture in picture of the original. After watching their homespun masterpiece, you might want compare it to a larger size original - you can do so here. They totally did their homework.

1 comment:

kitchensink said...

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." Seneca, Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD