Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Beginnings

"You Are OK" Vintage Letterpres Type  $70  by monkivintage on Etsy
 "You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. 
If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you."
 - Barbara Sher

Sooo...last night I took my first bagpipe lesson. It was a fun, yet humbling experience. It has been a really, really long time since I have been a complete beginner at something. And it was hard, I'm not going to lie. Trying to get my fingers just right on the practice chanter, and trying to get them to do what I wanted made my brain hurt. I kept wondering, how long until this things feels as comfortable as a pencil in my hand, or how long until I can finger notes on this thing like I do the flute I've played (for only 29 years)? It made me realize how much more challenging it is to be a beginner, especially as we get older - but also what a powerful experience it can be if we learn to enjoy the process. 

No comments: