Thursday, March 17, 2011

Billy Beer


I've been laid up with a bad back for two days. I hurt myself cleaning off the crusty play-doh table at my kiddo's preschool. Nothing heroic or exciting, just proof that I need more exercise and that I am getting old, my friends.

So I've had some time on my hands, laying here. Instead of watch hours of mindless and fun TV I decided to finish watching the American Experience documentary "Regan".  I followed that 3 hour joy-fest with the documentary on Jimmy Carter.

In the Carter documentary they talk about his hard-drinking brother, Billy and showed a huge close up of the beer he endorsed - called Billy of course. I had an instant flashback. Back in 2005 I went to a vacation house on the Oregon coast with some pals. Stuffed in the back of a forgotten cabinet was this unopened Billy beer can. I thought the design was pretty stellar (I'm a sucker for orange and blue together) and I loved the tagline. I went rushing (in a slow, painful way) to my shelves of sketchbooks and found it.

I drew this after reading and enjoying Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory. I lovely book if you have the chance. 
As for the beer, I'll stick with my snooty Northwest microbrews like the yummy Avatar Jasmine IPA I enjoyed last night with a side of ibuprofen.



No comments: