Friday, November 19, 2010

Art Heros: Maya Lin


This week I received an autographed copy of Maya Lin's book Boundaries from my in-laws who recently met her when she spoke about the Confluence Project (a multi-site artwork memorializing the Lewis and Clark expedition and the American Indian cultures that grew up along the Columbia River’s length).

Lin is probably best known for her design of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. In 1981 she won a public design competition for the memorial the at the age of 21 and while still an undergraduate. I visited D.C. in 1996. Seeing the memorial in person was significant to me. I grew up hearing stories of so many family friends who never came back from Vietnam, and had relatives who came back completely and forever changed.  

I've been a fan of hers ever since. 

No comments: