Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Scribblings: Fearless


The prompt for this week's Sunday Scribblings is "Fearless". As I was reading other people's two cents on the topic I happened across a post by the Greenish Lady over in Ireland. She quoted a friend who once said to her "fear is in the future". Meaning that if you live in the present, there is really no fear. I remembered that my pal A had said nearly the same thing to me a few weeks ago.

All of a sudden it gelled for me.
Lately, I've been having this vision that inside of me lives a very powerful version of myself. A superhero if you will. I think of her as "Super-Me". She is unafraid to try new things, wears great shoes, eats chocolate for breakfast, has a wild sense of adventure, and is never tired (I said she was a superhero, right)? Anyhow, I really don't think this vision is unique to me. I think everyone has that same person inside themselves, some people just let theirs out to play a little more often.

I remembered an exercise I did a few years back when I did The Artist's Way (an awesome experience I'd highly recommend). It asks you to make a list of things you would do or try if you weren't afraid. Not necessarily horror-movie style afraid; but afraid of failure, success, or judgement from yourself or others. It is a really powerful way of thinking. What would you try if fear were removed from the equation?

3 comments:

GreenishLady said...

We're definitely on similar wavelengths. The Artist's Way is one of the most important factors in my life as it is now. I've done it twice, and each time it was such an empowering experience.

Nice to meet you!

Daily Panic said...

The future can be fearful,
i think it will be fear that pushes us to do the things we do in the futur and today. Everyday someone is trying to scare me- buy insurance,
go green, beware of computer viruses, from these warnings I am prompted to do something, and be fearless about it.

Tumblewords: said...

Well said! The Artist's Way is a wonderful course. Really opens up a lot of hidden dreams.