Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Weeklies: #4 WeeklieZzzzzzz


It has been kind of a tough, sleepless week around my house. The baby's former nights of 8 blissful hours of uninterrupted sleep have regressed back to sleeping 1- 2 hours at a time leaving my hubby and I bleary eyed and a tad grumpy in the morning. I'm convinced that whoever coined the phrase "sleeping like a baby" never actually hung around too many babies. This lack of vitamin Zzzzzzzz has resulted in a less inspired week for me creatively and The Weeklies are a wee bit ovedue.

Handmade Object
When I'm feeling tired and depleted I find myself turning to all things that bring me comfort. Comfort food, comfort clothes, comfort music. This is my favorite mug. I bought it from one of my ceramics teachers in art school, Marc Digeros. I love everything about it: the color and the form and how it feels in my hand. Marc made wheel throwing look so easy, turning lifeless lumps of porcelain clay into amazing vessels in no time flat. Here is his website with his current work.


Image
From my sketchbook, here is a drawing of an old Brownie camera I did awhile back.



Best food I ate
Home made chicken and biscuits, gingerbread (see below) a coconut cupcake, and blueberry pancakes..hello comfort food!


Thing I made
One thing I did do this week was make my mother-in-law's recipe for gingerbread. Talk about comfort food. This recipe is one of my favorites. It produces a rich moist cake that is pretty much to die for. Top it with whipped cream for an added treat, eat it for breakfast, grab a slice on your way to yoga, have some with tea in the afternoon, sneak some while you take a bubble bath and read a steamy novel.... Here's another clip-n-save recipe card! Just an FYI, the card will look much larger when you open it within your browser. It should print at 4 x 6 inches.



Best thing I saw on the web
My cousin just got his BFA in painting and printmaking! He is insanely talented, and has a wild imagination. When he was little he used to write me these crazy illustrated letters that came in elaborately decorated envelopes. It is a good thing I saved them for someday when he is famous. Here is my favorite painting from his show. it s titled "Without Teeth". I just love the colors, and especially the cassette tape cloud. You can see more of his work here. Congratulations cuz!




Can't live without
Sleep....
oh precious, precious sleep...

Music

So the thing about this embedded player is that I either have to erase all the songs from previous weeks or just keep adding to them until I have a playlist that is 70 songs long, at that point the site will allow me to make a new playlist. I've decided to keep adding to it so you can have something longer to listen to. The newest songs will be at the top.

Since I didn't have much time to find new music this week part of the playlist includes some of my comfort music, stuff I can listen to over and over. The Kings of Convienince are one such band. I can't tell you how much I love them. "Bad Dream" by Keane is also pretty and singable too. The Airborne Toxic Event song is fun, it kind of reminds me of They Might Be Giants but a little groovier. "Engine Driver" is another comfort song..the chicken and biscuits of my iPod. "Slipping Through the Sensors" and "Pain Killer" are two "new to me" songs I discovered this week.

(I've moved the player to the next weeklies entry)



Feeling happy about
Getting out my hand knit winter scarves, fall colors, and having time to read books again.

Making me laugh

The baby's crazy giggle. It is a little unpredictable but when it happens it is pretty much the cutest and funniest thing I have ever heard.

copyright The Flying Pencil 2007

2 comments:

Kristin said...

The gingerbread sounds yummy! I can't believe you have found time to bake on such little sleep. I haven't cooked a thing - seriously, not a thing - since Ewen was born. Well, you've inspired me to create a new goal: cook or bake something once a week.

The.Effing.Librarian said...

you have a beautiful page.. you have a great eye for color and design.. it makes me feel good just looking at you blog.... cheers