Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tips of the Trade #5: Managing a to-do list


Vintage Russian alarm clock $35 form Clockwork Universe on Etsy
Ah, the to-do list. Mine is currently so long it would make Santa Claus barf. My list is a brain dump, void of prioritization or categories and has everything on it from reordering supplies, to who I need to call, places I want to take my kid - and so on and so on in a lengthy disorganized jumble. 

We all have to start somewhere, but what to do after we make a list requires some savvy. Here are some tips I am finding helpful in wrangling my crazy list.

I've only recently heard of this method, but know it has some evangelical followers. If that creeps you out, sorry. I'm not one of them, but I do like this synopsis of the method and what is says about getting rid of the 'stuff' that is keeping us from even starting on a to do list.

Great two part article focusing on how to break down big to-do's.

The Good to Know Project is full of advice + inspiration from artists/illustrators/designers on creativity, business and life. This issue has 29 artists who shares about the topic of how they manage their time, and includes some of their illustrations as well!

Full of practical (and somewhat obvious) ways to manage a to-do list. But it did lead me to the Hipster PDA - the ultimate, low tech time management tool. Originally a tongue and cheek reaction to the increasing expense and complexity of PDAs back in the early 2000s and well before the iPhone (the official Hipster PDA). Even though this idea is kinda old, I still think it may be super duper practical- especially for those of us who can't get to a computer until the small people in our houses are asleep. I'm totally making one.


Hope this is helpful if you are struggling with an overwhelming to-do list like I am. Onward!

No comments: