Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Illustration Friday: Scale

Here is a sad tale about scale. There is a cute little brick house across the street from the post office in my town. Over the years I've admired its petite stature, symmetrical picture windows and trim lawn. This summer I drove past it and was horrified that two McMansions now flanked its sides. The sweet little house sits dwarfed by two architectual bullies that sprang up in less than two weeks flat. Currently the little house is up for sale. I keep driving by hoping that someone will buy it and keep it as is, taking a stand against the towering vinyl-clad duo. But so far, there are no takers.

copyright the flying pencil 2007

7 comments:

sheree said...

oh i love little old houses! what a sweet illo! i'll cross my fingers with ya and hope no one buys it as a teardown --- the saddest thing to see amazing old homes torn down and replaced by big ugly vinyl boxes :(

BCOOL said...

Very nice like the concept good illustration.

Manuela said...

Love your style, yet the story could be sad, the draw I feel is beautiful and simple.
ciao

Uncle Beefy said...

Oy! I am so sick and saddened at all this McMansion & McTownhouse virus that is sweeping this town! That said, love the illustration J...the lil' house is so sweet :)

biology girl said...

I guess this brings a whole new dimension to the words "little house". Oh, the subtext! Maybe someday I will be able to rescue another little house from a similar fate...

Amy said...

That's terrible! I see it everyday here and those little gems now looks so out of place--lovely illo!

Mary said...

J, This is Auntie M.(Hey I just made that up but I like it.
As an architect and artist I HATE the MCMansion mentality. That is why I have done so little residential work in my career. I have been very happy overall having the majority of my career focus on school renovations and new schools.
I feel for the little house squeezed in the middle of the big bullies that will themselves be for sale when people come to their senses and realize that they cosy too much on the environment first to build and then to heat and maintain. Do you read some passion here.
I was just in Colorado and made my sister drive around the block so I could take a picture of a house with the sweetest dormer...She did it of course cuz she's my best bud.
I just came back from M's wedding in Houston, saw their new house which is older and I would rate it about a 7 on my (I like it scale) They do have some lovely gentrifying neighbourhoods with wonderful houses in Houston. Alas where do the working poor move?
J, love your blog thanks for sharing it.