Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chocolate Banana Bread = Happiness

There's a lot of banana buying around our house. Problem is, I'm kinda picky. Once they start turning spotty-brown, I'm done. As a result there are a lot of frozen, skinless, over-the-hill bananas just hanging out in our freezer, waiting for their reincarnation as muffins or bread.

About a year ago I found an awesome recipe for Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread in Cooking Light Magazine. Looks fancy and sounds fancy but it is really very simple. If you have your own trusty banana bread recipe already, you can still work some chocolatey swirl magic on it. Just melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in the microwave and mix in 1 cup of the banana bread batter. Layer the chocolate batter with the plain batter, swirl it with a knife and bake as you usually would. The Cooking Light recipe is a good one. I like the addition of yoghurt, but I ignore the egg replacer and just use in 2 eggs instead.

Tasty!

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Hey Julia, cool blog! I made banana cupcakes on Saturday from a recipe in Joy of Cooking, and stirred in some chocolate chips at the end, then frosted them with a creamy peanut butter frosting from Ina Garten's show on the Food Network.

They were SOO GOOD!

Librarian Girl said...

I think you need to make some banana dodgers.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I printed this one out for the beach. Could you send me your edible pure recipe too?!

Ilana

Molly said...

yummy! I love the picture and I LOVE that your blog will also cover baking. You may have inspired me to bake something yummy tonight!

You are definitely nesting!

xo